Friday, October 1, 2010

Inspiration (or: "Music of My Own")

When inspiration hits, you can truly be anywhere - in the shower, in the kitchen, seconds before you fall asleep. Inspiration hit me in the face today while sitting on my couch drinking my morning cup of coffee. Thankful to have my pen and notebook handy, I began to write... and write... and scratch that out.. and write some more. It just seemed to pour out of me: a praise song. Usually when I write, poems pour out. But recently songs have been coming to me, seemingly out of nowhere. This is where I wish I had stuck with those video taped keyboard lessons as a kid, because it's not just the lyrics that come to me, but the music as well. Of course, without recording myself singing it I will forget the tune within a few hours. Which sucks. But I guess I can always come up with a (better?) tune later as long as I have the lyrics written down. 

From the day H was born I've been making up songs. Songs about cleaning up. Songs about washing our hands. Songs about going to bed. They're just silly little songs that usually follow a familiar tune (Twinkle Twinkle, London Bridge, Mary Had a Little Lamb), and my kids love them. But up till now I've never written any songs down, nor have I written a song more serious than going pee pee in the potty.  It's definitely piquing my interest a bit, and I can't wait for more inspiration to flow. I'm not secretly wishing to become a songwriter for famous singers or anything (cause who would want that??), just enjoying the music.

I've always been a musical person. My grandmother used to pick me up from "school" (daycare?) when I was little, and we would sing all the way back to her house.  I was in children's choir by 2nd grade. I was in the competitive chorus group in high school.  Every year at Christmas, my (other) grandmother "asks" (it's really not optional) me and/or my sister to sing in front of the family.  Yet, somehow the thought of singing my own songs to other people scares the crap outta me.  Here's the hitch, though: I genuinely want to get over this fear. It's a bit ridiculous, don't you think? Ok, so I may not be the next American Idol or anything, but I have a decent voice. Why should I be nervous? Maybe one day I'll get over my shyness and share my songs with the world. Until then, (ba-da-da-da-da!) I'm lovin' it!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! In college I went through a few months where I was driving a lot and writing songs in my head. I started leaving myself voice mails on my cell to have a record of the song and later I would play it back and try to get Blake to figure out the tune on the piano. Some worked and some didn't but it was fun! I think you can still learn keyboard or guitar or something. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I have this audio thing on my phone where I can record up to a minute at a time, and I've been using that. Haha.. I love that we have such a musical family!

    ReplyDelete